Monday, March 10, 2014

Meat Balls

Growing up, we never had meatballs.  My father did not eat them, so my mother did not cook them.  I did not start eating meatballs until I moved in with my grandmother about 3 years ago.  She taught me how to make them and they have become a regular meal for our family since then.  My favorite way to serve them is over rice, as pictured below.  Since these meatballs have their own gravy with them, they also go great over mashed potatoes and noodles.


Meat Balls
Ingredients
1 lb group beef             
1 egg
1/2 onion chopped         
¼ cup milk
3 slices loaf bread crumbled   
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients together well.  Form into small balls, about 1 inch round. 
  2. Brown  the balls very quickly in a small amount of oil.  
  3. Add the cream of mushroom soup and 1 soup can full of water. 
  4. Cover and cook for 45 minutes on a slow simmer.
Notes
One recipe makes 24-30 meatballs depending on how big you make them.

Meatballs go great over rice, mashed potatoes and noodles!

Have ground venison?  It works just as well as beef in this recipe.  Just swap one pound of beef for one pound of ground venison and continue as directed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is homemade worth it?

1 lb group beef = $3.99             
1 egg = $.14
1/2 onion chopped = $.40         
¼ cup milk = $.06
3 slices loaf bread crumbled = $.19
1 can cream of mushroom soup = $1.00

One recipe costs $5.78. 

I have never bought frozen meatballs before so I have no idea how much a package costs or how many are in a package, so I will have to look next time we go to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment